Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Last Supper

As Easter approaches there is no greater time to reflect on Jesus than now.  We put so much focus on all of the commercial reasons to celebrate Easter, that we sometimes forget why it is that we all get together and celebrate.

Jesus got together with his disciples before he was crucified and ate one last meal together.  Little did his disciples know what that meal would mean for years and years to come!  This is such an important story that it's retold in the Bible several times!  It's told in Matthew (Matthew 26:17-30 ),  Mark (Mark 14:12-26), and Luke (Luke 22:7-23 )!


I will share with you the story as told in the book of Matthew:

Matthew 26:17-30 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?” 18 He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’ “ 19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover.
20 When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21 And while they were eating, he said, “I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me.” 22 They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely not I, Lord?” 23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” 25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely not I, Rabbi?” Jesus answered, “Yes, it is you.”
26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father’s kingdom.” 30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.


So after reading this can you guess what we did today?  We feasted on unleavened bread!  But before we feasted, we had to make our bread!

I bet after all these cooking pictures you're just dying to get your hands on our top secret recipe. . . right?  Of course you are!  Well lucky for you I've decided to share it with you!

UNLEAVENED BREAD

1 1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
2T. oil
4 T. soft butter
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup flour
4 cups wheat flour
1 tsp. yeast

Cream butter, oil and brown sugar, and honey. Add
 water flour, salt, baking powder. And wheat flour Mix and kneed. Divide into 4 small loaves.

Bake 17minutes at 350 degrees. Do not over bake


Your child should have brought a loaf home to share with you, and if you'd ever like to make it again and share the story with your family, you now have a great recipe that your kids can help you make!

After that we talked about the cross and what it means to us today.  We talked a little bit about how the crucifixtion took place.  The kids each had a chance to try on a cross and a crown of thorns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment